عَنْ أَبِي طَوِيلٍ شَطَبٍ الْمَمْدُودِ، أَنَّهُ أَتَى رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ فَقَالَ: أَرَأَيْتَ رَجُلا عَمِلَ الذُّنُوبَ كُلَّهَا، فَلَمْ يَتْرُكْ مِنْهَا شَيْئًا، وَهُوَ فِي ذَلِكَ لَمْ يَتْرُكْ حَاجَةً وَلا دَاجَةً إِلا أَتَاهَا، فَهَلْ لَهُ مِنْ تَوْبَةٍ؟ قَالَ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّم: "فَهَلْ أَسْلَمْتَ؟“قَالَ: أَمَّا أَنَا فَأَشْهَدُ أَنْ لا إِلَهَ إِلا اللَّهُ، وَحْدَهُ لا شَرِيكَ لَهُ، وَأَنَّكَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ.قَالَ صلى الله عليه وسلم: "نَعَمْ تَفْعَلُ الْخَيْرَاتِ، وَتَتْرُكُ السَّيِّئَاتِ، فَيَجْعَلُهُنَّ اللَّهُ لَكَ خَيْرَاتٍ كُلَّهُنَّ. قَالَ: وَغَدَرَاتِي وَفَجَرَاتِي؟قَالَ صلى الله عليه وسلم: "نَعَمْ".قالَ: اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ، فَمَا زَالَ يُكَبِّرُ حَتَّى تَوَارَى
أخرجه البزار في مسنده والطبراني في المعجم الكبير
It is narrated from Abu Taweel Shatab Al-Mamdood that he came to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and said, “What do you make of a man who did every single sin and did not leave any sin whatsoever, and he did not leave any desire – big or small – except that he fulfilled it. So is there any repentance for him?”The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said, “So did you accept Islam?”He said, “As for me, I bear witness that there is no deity worthy of worship besides Allah – He is One and has no partners – and you are the messenger of Allah (i.e. yes)”.The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said, “Yes, do good deeds and leave sins and Allah will turn all your sins into good deeds”.He said, “Even my treachery/betrayals and my immorality?”He صلى الله عليه وسلم said, “Yes”.He said, “Allahu Akbar!” and he continued saying it until he left. [Reported by al-Bazzar and at-Tabarani]
Vocabulary from the Hadtih
الْخَيْرَاتِ – The Good Deeds
السَّيِّئَاتِ – The Bad/Evil Deeds (sins)
يُكَبِّرُ – To increase, amplify, to glorify, esteem, to say “Allahu Akbar”(proclaim the greatness of Allah)
حاجَةً - Desire or Need
Lessons from the Hadith
- Allah The Exalted says “And those who do not invoke with Allah another deity or kill the soul which Allah has forbidden [to be killed], except by right, and do not commit unlawful sexual intercourse. And whoever should do that will meet a penalty. Multiplied for him is the punishment on the Day of Resurrection, and he will abide therein humiliated - Except for those who repent, believe and do righteous work. For them Allah will replace their evil deeds with good. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful. And he who repents and does righteousness does indeed turn to Allah with [accepted] repentance.” (al-Furqaan: 68-71)
- From the verses and the hadith above, we learn:
* That acceptance of Islam wipes away the sins.
* There is no sin for which forgiveness cannot be sought; one can repent for sins no matter how big or small.
* However, the repentance must be sincere and reflected in the deeds that follow it.
* Righteous deeds help a person remain steadfast on his or her repentance by guiding the person to newer and better ways to utilize his or her life and safeguard from the temptation to revert to one’s former ways.
* The effects of a sincere repentance are far reaching; Allah, the All Forgiving, All Merciful, not only accepts the repentance but also out of His infinite Mercy converts the sins into good deeds. Allahu Akbar!
There is no reason to feel overwhelmed or beaten down by the past, take this opportunity to sincerely seek the forgiveness of the One and Only, the Greatest Acceptor of Repentance. Never despair from His Mercy. Do as many righteous deeds as you can from here on forward and remember to glorify and proclaim the greatness of the One who has bestowed so much upon us despite our deviations and promises us even more for our submission.